How to Start Learning Coding? What I Learned from My Own Journey…

 

Starting in coding is like sailing on a vast sea. It can be hard to decide which path is the right one. If you are reading this, you are probably ready to step into this world. The good news is that you are not alone! I started this journey with HTML and CSS, and step by step, I made my place in the world of software development. Let’s take a look at how you can shape this adventure together.

1. Start with the Basics: HTML, CSS and Bootstrap

My first stop was HTML and CSS. These two are the foundations of the software world. HTML, which forms the structure of websites, and CSS, which provides the design, are both easy to learn and extremely satisfying. Later on, I learned Bootstrap and made my sites more modern and responsive. Bootstrap makes things much easier with its predefined templates. I have attended many free and paid courses on Udemy and YouTube. I leave the links to some of them below for ideas. (Since my process dates back 4–5 years, they may be old resources, and you will come across current ones in your research process.) In the same way, you can improve your basic skills by using these platforms. Apart from that, the freeCodeCamp platform is a platform where you can experience almost all technologies for free, you can easily practice on the browser, I have used it a lot, I still look at it from time to time, I recommend it. Do not neglect to practice here especially. Start by making a few simple web pages. The resources on the internet are really endless!

https://www.udemy.com/course/komple-web-developer-kursu/

https://www.udemy.com/course/adan-zye-bootstrap-4-egitimi/

2. Advanced Level: Transition to Programming Languages and Databases (C# and SQL)

After HTML and CSS, when I wanted to develop more dynamic and functional applications, I turned to C#. During this process, I also started to learn SQL. I worked on MS SQL and used this database in my Windows Forms applications. I had the opportunity to improve myself especially in database management and application integration. For example, I developed two separate applications to track the books I read and the trainings I took; I stored my data in the SQL database and my applications continue to run on this database. You too can create powerful and dynamic solutions in your own projects with the combination of C# and SQL. Again, I share some of the resources I used below.

https://www.udemy.com/course/sifirdan-ileri-seviye-csharp-programlama/

https://www.udemy.com/course/programcilik-kursu/

https://www.udemy.com/course/komple-uygulamali-programlama-egitimi-yeni-baslayanlar/

https://www.udemy.com/course/sorgularla-adim-adim-sql-veri-tabani-programlama/

https://www.udemy.com/course/sql-kursu/

3. Introduction to the Mobile World: Meet Flutter

What I’m most proud of in the software world is that I was able to develop apps on my own with Flutter. Flutter is especially great for mobile app development. I’ve built an app for kids to learn English, which I’ve released on Google Play, and I have another app in testing right now with recipes for babies. In the process, I learned how to use GitHub and how to make use of platforms like Stack Overflow. If mobile app development appeals to you, starting with Flutter is a great step.

https://www.udemy.com/course/flutter-ile-uygulama-gelistirme-kursu-android-ios/

https://www.udemy.com/course/flutter-bootcamp-program-dart/

https://www.udemy.com/course/flutter-bootcamp-with-dart/

https://www.udemy.com/course/git-github-practical-guide/

4. A World of Fun with Game Development: Unity

What I learned in software was not enough for me; my interest in game development with Unity increased. I can say that I met this when Üretken Akademi organized a game development bootcamp in my city. After completing that bootcamp, I am currently continuing to improve myself and I realized this: Every new technology in the software world opens a different door. If you want to develop games, Unity is a great platform to start with.

5. Continuously Learn and Share

When you embark on a journey in the software world, you will see that the learning never ends. New technologies, frameworks, languages… They are all interconnected. My most important advice is to apply what you learn immediately. Whether you write a blog post or share your projects on GitHub. I also write medium articles about software and in this way, I can share what I have learned with more people, and I learn more permanently while researching to write what I have in mind.

Github

I mentioned above that I’m learning how to use GitHub, but I wanted to open a separate parenthesis here. GitHub is definitely one of the biggest helpers when learning software. It’s like a giant code repository where developers share their projects. I’ve often browsed projects on GitHub, especially when I was learning Flutter, C# and HTML/CSS. It’s a great way to look at code written by other developers, to see how code is actually written and what techniques are used. You can also share your own projects here. If you want to examine the projects I wrote in the trainings I follow, which I also publish publicly, my github profile is below:

So what does GitHub bring you? Think of it this way:

  • You improve your coding skills: You learn the tricks of the trade by examining the code of really experienced developers. Which structures are cleaner, which methods are more efficient… You get a chance to see them.
  • You discover new solutions: Every project solves a certain problem. Looking at those projects and thinking, “Oh, is this how they solved this problem?” makes you more creative.
  • You can make your own contributions: Over time, you can also contribute to open source projects. Not only will you practice coding, but you will also gradually gain a foothold in the software world.

To summarize, GitHub reviews have helped me a lot and I’m sure you’ll find them very useful when learning software. It’s a great resource that makes you feel like you’re not alone in coding!

I hope my journey will inspire and give ideas to someone somewhere. I wish everyone success on this path.

Selin.

Hiç yorum yok: